One fine evening I was reminded of the famous V B Bakery and Iyengar bakery fruit cake and the salivary gland started leaking 😉 Although I didn’t find tutti-fruity in it’s pristine form,I managed to find a fruit cake mix which had cherries, pineapple, orange and lemon zest at the supermarket. So I was determined to make the fruit cake that I was craving for. As I set out making them for the first time I was apprehensive of the results. But Lo it was super moist and tasty. Could store it for a week and enjoy it. Wondering if it’s a herculean task? look at it yourself and discover the joy of baking it 🙂
|All purpose flour/ maida||1 ½ cups|
|Fruit cake mix||1 cup|
|Baking soda||1 pinch|
|Baking powder||1 pinch|
|Vanilla essence||1 tsp|
|Sugar||1 ¾ cups|
|Butter||1 stick/ 5 tbsp|
|Walnuts and almonds, chopped||½ cup|
1. Preheat oven to 375ºF or 190ºC. Seive the all purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Keep it aside. Melt the butter in a microwaveable bowl on 2 minutes high. Mix in sugar and stir it.
2. Add the eggs one by one with vanilla essence and beat it with an electric or hand mixer on high until it reaches a thick consistency. (ref pic)
- Subtitute egg with egg replacer.
- Substitute butter with oil.
- If you have a small convection oven or a microwave with baking options you could try this in small quantities as a trial and then proceed for bigger batches.