CREAMY SPINACH SOUP | PALAK SOUP
Soups are an answer to winter woes, plus they make for a perfect supper 🙂 Spinach also known as PALAK in INDIA is rich in iron, vitamins and a powerhouse of fiber. It prevents constipation and aids in digestion. It enhances vision, immunity, skin and bones. It is known to reduce blood pressure and contribute to a healthy nervous system. This nourishing green with its humble properties tastes great as a soup. With onions making up for the sulphur compound and with the right blend of spices giving the rich taste it is a sure fire way to keep cold and flu at bay, while enjoying your bowl of healthy goodness 🙂 presenting to you SPINACH SOUP 🙂
|Spinach/ Palak leaves, chopped & washed||2 bunches|
|Onion, roughly chopped||1 big|
|Cinnamon||1 inch or two pieces|
|Salt and pepper||As needed|
|Fresh cream||½ cup|
|Celery (optional) cut into pieces||2 sticks|
1. In a quart pan heat oil on medium flame and add cinnamon, eilichi, cloves and bay leaves. Then add onions and saute for a minute, add ginger and garlic, saute till everything is blended.
2. Now add spinach and saute until the leaves wilt and shrink. Add celery and give it another stir. Then Pour in some water (1/2 cup) and bring to a boil.Turn off the stove and cool it.
3. Remove bay leaves and cinnamon stick. Strain the liquid( broth) and retain it. Blend the mixture into a smooth paste.
4. Pour the blend mixture into a pan and add the retained broth and bring to a boil on medium flame.
5. Add Salt and pepper, heavy cream and give it another stir. Enjoy hot with croutons/ bread crumbs.
- Adding celery is absolutely optional, it makes the soup a little fibery, since it is also rich in fiber, so you might want to strain it or retain it the way it is as per your preference.
Instead of heavy cream you could add whole milk and boil for yet another 5 minutes. But make sure you don’t add too much, else the soup becomes watery.